Monday, September 3, 2012

Countdown - 20 Days To Diaconate Ordination

Sunday, September 2, 2012, I was at the 8:30 AM Mass at my home parish.  I was the lector for that Mass; it will be my last time as a lector in the parish.  When my next rotation comes up, I will (God willing) already be an ordained deacon, serving in my assigned parish.

One of the Sunday readings is from the Letter of St. James.  In that reading, this passage struck me: "Be doers of the word and not hearers only, deluding yourselves."  Scripture is more than a collection of stories, psalms, and preacher's letters.  It is God's Word, given to inspire us to lives of holiness, lives of hope.  Scripture is a dead letter, only if we fail to be "doers of the the word," and let the Scripture we hear remain echoing in a empty church, and not living it in our homes, our offices, on the streets, and in the marketplaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment