Monday, August 23, 2010

Boston Archdiocese Blocks A Blog


The local Boston media, including the Boston Globe, has been reporting about how the Archdiocese of Boston has been blocking computer access to a blog called The Boston Catholic Insider. No Archdiocesan employee can view the blog using an Archdiocesan computer. The blog has been attacking Archbishop Sean Cardinal O’Malley, OFM CAP for being a poor administrator; and other officials of cronyism, padding their salaries, and shady business deals. They seem to really pile the vitriol on Rev. J. Bryan Hehir, the Archdiocese Secretary of Social Services.

I will admit that I only did a cursory look at the site, but what I did see did not impress me; a lot of verbiage, a clanging cymbal, signifying nothing. The fact that no authors are willing to put their names to these accusations further lowers my respect for this blog.

Now whether it was a good idea for the Archdiocese to block this blog, I am not sure. However, as an employer, the Archdiocese does have the right to set conditions on how employees use Archdiocesan computers to access the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment