Thursday, July 8, 2010

"How Long Must I Carry Sorrow In My Soul?"

Psalm 13

How long, LORD? Will you utterly forget me? How long will you hide your face from me?

How long must I carry sorrow in my soul, grief in my heart day after day? How long will my enemy triumph over me?

Look upon me, answer me, LORD, my God! Give light to my eyes lest I sleep in death,

Lest my enemy say, "I have prevailed," lest my foes rejoice at my downfall.

I trust in your faithfulness. Grant my heart joy in your help, That I may sing of the LORD, "How good our God has been to me!"


It has been said that the Psalms express all the emotions one can experience in his or her relationship with God. Two members of my family have experienced serious illness recently; they are battling cancer. One is recovering from treatment, the other is just beginning hers. To witness their suffering, I am both railing against God, while at the same time begging for His assistance. One moment I am in awe of His power and love; and then I am in despair about His seeming powerlessness. In the end, we need to trust in His faithfulness; and sometimes cry out “I do believe, help my unbelief!” (Mark 9: 24)

No comments:

Post a Comment