Wednesday, November 4, 2009

"Don't Make Me A Saint"

Dorothy Day has been quoted saying: "Don't make me a saint; I do not want want to be dismissed so easily." Many people do consider Dorothy Day as a saint, and there has been those in the Catholic Church who have been pushing her cause to be officially declared one by the Church. I have always been an admirer of Dorothy and the Catholic Worker movement. I really admired their service to the poor. I really wish I had their courage, their commitment.

Just a few days after All Saints Day, I came across this America magazine podcast about Day. It is an interview with Robert Ellsberg, who used to work at the Catholic Worker, and now at Orbis Publishing. He edited the diaries of Dorothy Day and published them; he is currently editing her letters for publication. I found it very inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment