Saturday, December 11, 2010

Stuff Happens

I am currently in the Permanent Diaconate formation program for the Archdiocese of Boston. Our classes are being held at a North Shore Catholic college. Our sessions begin with our praying of Evening prayer from the Liturgy of the Hours. Each of us, on a rotating schedule, is responsible for leading the prayer.

Now I am currently without a personal car, because it got totaled in an accident (not my fault). I use my wife’s car to get to the college from home, but I use public transit to get from my job in Boston to our apartment building. I usually do not get to the college in time for evening prayer. The night I was to lead evening prayer, I made sure I took an earlier train and bus, and I was on the road earlier than usually. But the traffic was heavy that night, and I got to the college with only minutes to spare. I rushed up the stairs to the chapel, while also muting my mobile phone. At the top of the stairs, I tripped on the last step; fell onto the slate floor, landing on my right shoulder.

I dislocated my shoulder, damaged it so much that it will continually dislocate until I have surgery. My right arm is in a sling, I am trying to type this with my left hand. The thought occurs to me, was my hastiness born of a desire to worship God, or of pride of being a leader of prayer that night? And is this a test of humility? Something to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment